Tuesday 22 September 2015

CHAIRMAN ACTORS GUILD ABUJA TALKS ABOUT THE THE GUILD,CAREER AND GOALS...

For some of us who knows absolutely nothing about the movie industry. well,its a lot more than the movies you see.. There are different guilds that make up Nollywood.
Here we are meeting one of the Chairmen of Nollywood's Actors Guild.

BELLA - Hello sir, it is an honor.

AGILITY- Same here Bella

BELLA- Can we know you?

AGILITY- I am Onwurah Agility. Chairman Actors Guild of Nigeria Abuja Chapter. An actor producer, director n a businessman.

BELLA - What the Guild is all about?

AGILITY- Actors Guild of Nigeria is an association of actors working for a common purpose especially the welfare of members. It has branches all over the states of Nigeria and a few chapters outside Nigeria. I am the Chairman of all the Chairmen of Actors Guild of Nigeria. Chapters not branches.






BELLA - What does it take to be a member of Actors Guild?

AGILITY- To be a member of Actors Guild of Nigeria, you will have to register and be paying dues. Registration is done at different chapters of the Guild. Once you register with any of the chapters, it's for nation wide.

BELLA- what are the achievements of the Guild since it's inception?

AGILITY- The Guild in the year has turned the face of Nollywood.
It has helped to rebrand the image of our country Nigeria and give it a new face lift
It Has also provided jobs for more than 10 million Nigerians directly or indirectly. its helped crime rate reduction by taking so many youths out of the street. It has added to d country's GDP And so many other things.

BELLA - And what new plans / policies do you have in place as a chairman?

AGILITY - For Abuja, because producers thinks it's a little bit on the high side to produce movies, we have talked to some hotels that are entertainment friendly, they give us discount for accommodation and some of our events.
Hotels like Nanet Suites, Top Rank Hotels, Febson Hotel, and so many others
Recently we have plans of partnering with directors and producers to make good movies that we'll share ownership
By this we can make more faces and more good movies in Abuja.
On policies, we are talking with our legal partner to see how royalties will be paid to our members. No matter how small a role u play in a movie, you are entitled to royalties of the movie. Working on it.

BELLA - So,sir how has being the chairman affected your career and personal life?

AGILITY - It's not been easy because producers avoid giving me jobs.
Some are afraid I may stop them when they don't treat actors well on set. Or using people who are not members of the Guild to shoot their movies.
Personally it has afforded me the opportunity of meeting many great people, nurtured me politically and also afforded me the opportunity of serving my people helping their dreams come true

BELLA - Thats great sir, can you to take us down memory lane on how it was when you first started acting, your first movie, title and the role you played?

AGILITY - I joined the industry in 2002 but my 1st major movie was Don Bishop in 2004 and I played a sub lead. I was part of a big drug syndicate headed by Bishop who is the Don. A challenging role I must say. I played the role of Sly, righthand man of the don.









BELLA- so how many movies have you featured in so far?

AGILITY- I have featured in over 30 movies. Though since my chairmanship, I do more of radio voicing and movie producing.

BELLA - Thats alot. have you considered making your own movie?

AGILITY - Yes. Aside being an actor, I m also a producer. I produced my 1st film in 2007 ULOAKU. 2008 Chukwukadibia. Directed by Leo B. I have two movies I will b producing between now and early next year and I promise it's going to be a blockbuster.

BELLA - Sir, as a father, would you like any of your kids to become actors?

AGILITY- My 1st Daughter Munachimso is already acting. Actually she was part of my 2008 production wen she was 2 months old. She is now 7 with 6 movies to her name and she is quite good










BELLA - Wow... how does Mrs Onwurah and family handle your acting career?

AGILITY - It's not easy but when u have an understanding wife, everything seems easy. If i hadn't married her, I would have being divorced. She is a gift from God.

BELLA - I can understand that.. How do you handle moving on the street and being accosted by fans? I am actually your number one fan.

AGILITY- That's part of it. I try as much as I can to be myself, although I try to avoid some places. U can't stop seeing people arguing if it's you or not. I still relate with my fans and public well. I love them all and still ask for their support and encouragement. They are the reason we are still in business.

BELLA - what word do you have for the Nigeria youngsters who would want to go into acting?

AGILITY - Everything has its principles, they just have to abide by the rules of the game to get it right. U must always practice and learn, be patient and wait for your time. Know that no director or producer will make u a star . If you are not good, no producer or director will keep using you unless u improve.

BELLA - what advice do you have for parents who have kids that wants to go into acting?

AGILITY - Encouragement. When you encourage your kids, they will go all out for it and at the same time avoid doing bad things. They will not like to disappoint u if they know they have their parents supports. Teach them morals at home and they will not misbehave in public.

BELLA- thank you for this wonderful interview sir I'm Honoured!

AGILITY- Anytime Bella..





Get to know the Chairman Actors Guild of Nigeria,Abuja Chapter, An Actor, Business man.
Here we go with Few interesting things about him.

- He was given cheiftancy title as early as 1982.

- He was the captain of my school's volleyball team.

- The name AGILITY was given to him by his principal in one if their Rehearsals.. it's stuck with him forever

- He's best Food is Yam..

- And from Bella, He is an Amazing person..

Connect with him in Facebook: Agility Onwurah.
Instagram: @actorsabuja

No comments:

Post a Comment